on the mirror field of the disc - a relief image of the State Emblem of the Russian Federation, above it along the edge - an inscription in a semicircle: "RUSSIAN FEDERATION", framed on both sides by double rhombuses, below the emblem: on the left - designations of precious metal and alloy samples, on the right - the content of chemically pure metal and the mint trademark, at the bottom in the center in three lines - the inscription: "BANK OF RUSSIA", coin denomination: "3 RUBLES", year of issue: "2021".
on the mirror field of the disk - a relief image of the building of the State Museum of the History of Cosmonautics named after K.E. Tsiolkovsky against the background of images of the panorama of the city of Kaluga and the starry sky; there are inscriptions, at the top along the edge: "KALUGA", at the bottom: "650 YEARS".
Kaluga was first mentioned in the charter of the Lithuanian prince Olgerd in 1371. This year is considered the founding date of the city. In 1389, he finally became part of the Moscow principality. As a watch outpost, a fortress city built on the Oka, Kaluga became an outpost of the Moscow state, an obstacle to foreign raids from the south and west. In 1740, the industrialist Evdokim Demidov laid the dam and the ironworks. This year can be considered the beginning of industrial production in Kaluga. Located at the crossroads of busy horse-drawn and waterways, Kaluga reached its heyday in the 18th-19th centuries, turning into a large industrial and commercial center. However, with the transition of the domestic fleet to steam engines, the gradual shallowing of the Oka and the cessation of river navigation along it, Kaluga found itself on the sidelines of busy routes and turned into a provincial city. The rapid construction of industrial production began in the city during the years of Soviet power - many flagships of the domestic mechanical engineering appeared in Kaluga and began to produce their industrial products. Almost all of them are still the city-forming enterprises of Kaluga. With the formation of the Kaluga Region on July 5, 1944, the city of Kaluga became its administrative center.
Artists: E.V. Kramskaya (obverse), A.A. Cheese (reverse). Sculptors: A.A. Dolgopolova (obverse), A.N. Bessonov (reverse).