on the mirror field of the disc - a relief image of the State Emblem of the Russian Federation, above it along the edge - an inscription in a semicircle: "RUSSIAN FEDERATION", framed on both sides by double rhombuses, below the emblem: on the left - designations of precious metal and alloy samples, on the right - the content of chemically pure metal and the mint trademark, at the bottom in the center in three lines - the inscription: "BANK OF RUSSIA", coin denomination: "3 RUBLES", year of issue: "2021".
on the mirrored field of the disk - a partially colored relief image of a steam locomotive driven by a worker, against the background of images of factory buildings; there are inscriptions, at the top right along the edge: "PAROVOZ CHEREPANOVYH", at the bottom: "1834".
The Cherepanovs steam locomotive is the first steam locomotive built in Russia. Created in 1834 by the engineers of the Vyisky plant, Efim and Miron (father and son) Cherepanov. In 1833, Miron Cherepanov was sent by the owners of the plant on a business trip to England to get acquainted with the advanced technologies and the latest technical achievements of metallurgy. There he had the opportunity to see the George Stephenson steam locomotive - the first steam locomotive in the world to find practical use. An external examination was enough for Miron to decide upon the construction of the first Russian steam locomotive upon returning home. The geniuses-inventors of the Cherepanovs did not just reproduce the English steam locomotive, they significantly improved its technical part: they increased steam production by increasing the number of smoke tubes, and added a reverse device, thanks to which the steam locomotive could change its direction of movement and move backwards. They also became the creators of the first railway in Russia, connecting the Vyysky plant and the Mednorudnyansky mine. In 1835, the Cherepanovs created a second, more powerful steam locomotive. Despite their practical orientation, the inventions of the Cherepanovs remained unrealized due to the excessive cost and lack of well-established timber mining in the vicinity of the railway.
Artists: E.V. Kramskaya (obverse), A.A. Cheese (reverse). Sculptors: A.A. Dolgopolova (obverse), O. G. Shepel, M.E. Kuznetsov (reverse).